Romantic Comedy 'The Bartered Bride' Opens CCM's 2019-20 Opera Series
CCMONSTAGE Opera Series presents 'The Bartered Bride' on Nov. 21-24, 2019
UC’s College-Conservatory of Music opens its new CCMONSTAGE Opera Series with Bedřich Smetana’s romantic comedy The Bartered Bride, which runs Nov. 21-24, 2019 at Patricia Corbett Theater. This classic Czech opera is described as “irresistible for its charming characters and lively pace, and, above all, for its rich, colorful score” by the New York Times.
Part bubbly operetta and part Bohemian folk pageant, CCM sets The Bartered Bride in a Czech community in Texas in 1948. Mařenka is arranged to marry the son of a rich landowner, but she is in love with someone else. Defiantly, Mařenka vows before her parents that she will only accept her love, Jeník, as her husband. As her parents and the matchmaker fight for the arranged marriage, the young lovers fight against tradition in order to be together.
“This story lends itself wonderfully to being shaped from a modern point of view,” says CCM Artist Diploma student Audrey Chait, director of the opera. “This production explores what it means to be a young American immigrant, preserving the traditions of the old country while embracing a new way of life,”
CCM’s production is conducted by guest artist and CCM alumnus Levi Hammer and features a new English singing libretto by CCM Opera faculty member Kathleen Kelly. The opera’s original libretto is by Karel Sabina. The process of translation and adaptation started between Kelly and Chait in the summer. In order to make the translation more authentic to the immigrant experience, some text is left in the original Czech.
“In the spirit of realism, the folk songs are sung as-is, as are moments when characters do not want to filter their most urgent thoughts through a second language,” Chait adds.
Movers and Makers magazine named CCM’s production of The Bartered Bride a “must see” event of Cincinnati’s music and opera of the fall season. Read more about this season’s Opera Series in The News Record.
- Audrey Chait*, director
- Levi Hammer, conductor
- Kathleen Kelly, master coach
- Molly Getsinger*, chorus master
- David Adams, Czech language advisor
- Joshua E. Gallagher*, scenic designer
- Blaine Shepherd*, costume designer
- Nina Algelvis*, lighting designer
- Zachory Ivans*, sound designer
- Cheyenne Holbert*, wig and make-up designer
- Marley Giggey*, production stage manager
- Myrrh Sewell*, prop master
- Shauna Steele, movement consultant
- Samuel Kidd*, Jordan Krack+ as Krušina, a peasant
- Deborah Rivera-Badillo*, Rachel Ballitch+ as Ludmila, his wife
- Jordan Stadvec*, Brittany Olivia Logan+ as Mařenka, their daughter
- Turner Staton as Mícha, a landowner
- Elana Bell as Háta, his wife
- Tayte Mitchell*, Mishael Eusebio+ as Vašek, their son
- Victor Cardamone*, Jordan Loyd+ as Jeník, Mícha’s son by a former marriage
- Michael Hyatt*, Ryan Wolfe+ as Kecal, a marriage broker
- Manfred Anaya as Principál komediantů, ringmaster
- Justin Burgess as actor
- Anyeé Farrar*, Vistoria Ellington+ as Esmeralda, dancer and comedienne
- Manfred Anaya, Alexander Kapp, James Henry Benson, Haksung Lee, Megan Graves, Anna Mosoriak, David Guzmán, Michael Pandolfo, Saane Halaholo, Josey Poppin, Johan Hartman, Yi-Chun Tsai, Andrea Tulipana as ensemble
- Sophie Beadie, Sarah Santarsiero, Lily Kozub, Rebekah Docea, Erika Shi, Meg Green, Ying-Chi Lu as circus performers
* Thursday, Nov. 21 and Saturday, Nov. 23
+ Friday, Nov. 22 and Sunday, Nov. 24
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21
- 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 22
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 23
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 24
Patricia Corbett Theater, CCM Village
University of Cincinnati
Single tickets prices start at $39.50; Student discounts and group rates are also available.
Directions and Parking
CCM is located on the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Please visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions for detailed driving directions to CCM Village.
Parking is available in UC’s CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the UC campus. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors.
CCMONSTAGE Production Sponsor: Macy’s and Dr. & Mrs. Carl G. Fischer
Opera Production Sponsor: Genevieve Smith
Story by CCM Graduate Student Kelly Barefield
A preeminent institution for the performing and media arts, the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) is the largest single source of performing arts presentations in the state of Ohio. All event dates and programs are subject to change. For a complete calendar of events, please visit us online at ccm.uc.edu.
College2Careers provides added support for UC students with...
May 11, 2021
Thanks to the new College2Careers program, students with disabilities are more supported than ever at the University of Cincinnati as they pursue their goals and plan for a career.
P&G, Dinsmore, Cincinnati Law fellowship addresses inequities in...
May 11, 2021
Cincinnati Law, Dinsmore and P&G collaborate to create fellowship to address racial, civil injustice.
UC Law celebrates 188th Hooding with virtual, in-person events
May 11, 2021
Event: May 15, 2021 1:00 PM
UC College of Law celebrates 120 graduates at its 188th Hooding ceremony.