Mind your health this month with Well-being Wednesdays
Engage with Healthy UC with events to stay connected and participate in the mental health awareness
What are Healthy UC and Well-Being Wednesdays?
Healthy UC is a collaborative whose members represent campus departments and units which support faculty, staff and student well-being. Healthy UC strives to continue to help each Bearcat thrive in a variety of ways. Every Wednesday will offer various highlights of programming and resources for students, faculty and staff to engage in their well-being. All UC bearcats are welcome to participate and engage when it works best for them!
Well-being Wednesdays in October
For the last 30 years the first week of October is Mental Illness Awareness Week and October 10th is World Mental Health Day. This month, Healthy UC will be highlighting mental health awareness and opportunities in a variety of ways, like the Warrior Run and Questions, Persuade and Ask (QPR) Training. Additionally, tune in to an Impact Solutions, UC’s employee assistance plan (EAP) webinar: Fixing Our Broken; where you will learn techniques for overcoming common sleep problems.
October 7, 2020
- Warrior Run: Race for Life Virtual 5K- The is an annual race to stop suicide and promote optimal mental health hosted by 1N5. This year’s focus is to Find Your Path. You can participate when, where and how you want between Sept. 26th and Oct. 10th.
- Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW)- The first week of October marks the annual MIAW since 1990. Learn more about this health observance with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Raise awareness and support the MIAW in a variety of ways.
- In collaboration with 1n5 and Child Focus, the Division of Student Affairs, Health and Wellness is bringing the opportunity to be trained as a trainer for the evidence-based suicide prevention training, Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR). Trainings are offered the week of Oct. 5th and future dates will be available too. Save your spot, sign up and learn more on CampusLink.
October 14, 2020
- Join the 2020 Recreation Movement Challenge, organized by NIRSA, the governing body for the UC Campus Recreation. The program encourages participants to exercise and compete against universities across the country to see who is the most active. Participants can take advantage of virtual workouts from more than 100 colleges and universities.
- Tune into Fixing Our Broken Sleep, a webinar viewing from Impact Solutions, UC’s employee assistance plan (EAP) provider, online via WebEx on Wednesday, Oct. 14 from 12:30-1 p.m. In this webinar, you will learn techniques for overcoming common sleep problems like "trouble falling asleep", "difficulty staying asleep", "excessive thinking", "waking too early", "Sunday night insomnia", "chronic insomnia" "shift-work difficulties" and "daytime sleepiness". You will hear about the latest population studies and the latest scientific discoveries of the foundational relationship between sleep and all areas of health. This hands-on presentation has helped many people to begin getting better sleep almost immediately.
October 21, 2020
- Join the Connect & Reflect: Invest in Your Emotional Bank Account session on October 21 from 12:15-1 p.m. for an opportunity to share and connect with others over relevant and through-provoking content.
October 28, 2020
- Join the Injury Series: Head and Shoulders Above Pain with Airrosti on October 28 from 12-12:30 p.m. for an educational and interactive webinar to learn more about the rotator cuff, tendinitis, and other common shoulder injuries, as well as exercises to help reduce pain. Improve your range of motion and add simple stability exercises to your daily routine so you can live above pain!
Stay in the know
Don’t miss out on the latest with Healthy UC. The Healthy UC partners have various accounts to subscribe to and follow. The Healthy UC Events page provides these accounts
Healthy UC also encourages you to use #healthyuc and #UCtheGood on social media outlets and share how you are focusing on your well-being.