WATCH: CCM’s production of Mozart’s ‘The Marriage of Figaro’ is now available for on-demand viewing
Performed in fall 2021, the opera was recently featured in CityBeat’s “Best of Cincinnati” roundup
A complete performance of CCM’s recent production of The Marriage of Figaro (Le nozze di Figaro, 1786) is now available for on-demand viewing as part of the CCM OnStage Online Archives series. This iconic opera, which was composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with a libretto by Lorenzo Da Ponte, was presented Nov. 18-21, 2021, in Corbett Auditorium. The archived performance was recorded on Saturday, Nov. 20.
Conducted by CCM graduate student Brian McCann with stage direction by CCM Professor of Opera Robin Guarino, The Marriage of Figaro presents a comically tangled web of infidelity, duplicity, blackmail and mistaken identity, all leading to a happily-ever-after ending.
The opera is sung in Italian with English subtitles available on demand. The performance is presented in two parts: the first video contains The Marriage of Figaro's Overture and Acts 1 and 2, while the second video contains Acts 3 and 4. Stream both parts of the opera below. This recording was produced by CCM Digital.
- Brian McCann*, conductor
- Robin Guarino, director
- Madison Stone*, production stage manager
- Tom Umfrid, scenic designer
- Alex Mason*, lighting designer
- Meredith Buckley*, costume designer
- Kelly Yurko*, wig and make-up designer
- Corbin White*, sound designer
- Ben Beardon* and Madison Fraiser*, props masters
* CCM Student
- John Siarris* and Joseph O’Shea^ as Figaro
- Emma Marhefka* and Tori Adams^ as Susanna
- Ryan Wolfe* and Justin Burgess^ as Count
- Heidi Miller* and Saana Halaholo^ as Countess
- Georgia Jacobson* and Christina Hazen^ as Cherubino
- Kendra Beasley* and Tess Klibanoff^ as Marcellina
- Atticus Rego* and John Mburu^ as Bartolo
- Arieh Sacke* and Logan Wagner^ as Basilio/Curzio
- Su Hyeon Park* and Hyein Hong^ as Barbarina
- Erik Nordstrom as Antonio
- Chorus: Jinpark Choi, Aaron McKone, Vaugh Richardson, Tanya Harris, Hannah Schendel, Ariana Maubach, Clara Reeves, Natasha Naik
*Performs Thursday, Nov. 18 and Saturday, Nov. 20
^Performs Friday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 21
The rousing production of Mozart’s sublime comedy 'The Marriage of Figaro' ... earned an equally rousing, well-deserved standing ovation, one of the loudest we’ve heard in a long time
CityBeat's Best of Cincinnati
Earlier this month, the production won the staff pick for “Best Standing Ovation” as part of CityBeat’s “Best of Cincinnati” coverage, with CityBeat declaring: "The rousing production of Mozart’s sublime comedy The Marriage of Figaro by the opera department of the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music earned an equally rousing, well-deserved standing ovation, one of the loudest we’ve heard in a long time.” Read the full Best of Cincinnati entry.
The production was also featured in the Cincinnati Business Courier’s roundup of “great musical memories” from 2021, with Janelle Gelfand writing: "Staging by Robin Guarino, professor of opera, allowed each character to shine. The high caliber of singing – through face masks, no less — and the playing by the pit orchestra made it necessary to keep reminding myself that these were students." Read the full Cincinnati Business Courier story.
Featured image: A scene from CCM’s Nov. 20, 2021, performance of Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro.
- College-Conservatory of Music
- Make-up and Wig Design
- Performances and Public Events
- Lighting Design and Technology
- Opera and Voice
- Stage Management
- Experience-based Learning
- Technical Production
- Arts & Culture
- Stage Design, Props and Scenic Arts
- In The News
- Orchestral Studies
- Theatre Series
- Costume Design and Technology
- Sound Design
- Theatre Design and Production
CCM Summer's "Be the Change" workshop engages Prep Musical...
June 21, 2022
The summer high school Musical Theatre Workshop at UC's College-Conservatory of Music dedicated Monday's activities to share a curriculum focused on social justice, commemorating Juneteenth.
Dayton Daily News: CCM alum Alex Stone featured in national tour...
June 21, 2022
The Dayton Daily News recently caught up with CCM alum Alex Stone (BFA Musical Theatre, ‘19) ahead of his appearance at the Schuster Center as part of the national touring company of Fiddler on the Roof. The iconic musical returned to Broadway for its 50th anniversary in 2015, and Stone has been part of the show’s touring cast since 2021.
CCM alum Avishay Shalom wins first prize at the Nikisch...
June 16, 2022
Conductor, arranger and CCM alumnus Avishay Shalom (MM Orchestral Conducting, ‘16) received first prize at the second edition of the Arthur Nikisch International Conducting Competition, which was held from June 6-11, 2022, in Bulgaria.