WATCH: CCM mini documentary gives inside look at modern dance class
Enjoy a look backstage at CCM during Shauna Steele's Modern Dance Tech Class
Enjoy a behind-the-scenes look at modern dance training at UC's College-Conservatory of Music, courtesy of the new Backstage at CCM documentary series.
Titled "Breath Release Technique in Modern Dance," this mini-documentary shows viewers an excerpt from CCM's Modern Dance Tech Class, taught by Shauna Steele, Associate Professor and Chair of Dance. The class is an exploration of the kinesthetic sense (senses of position and movement of the body). Students learn how to combine technique with their own unique artistic interpretation.
The video was filmed during the spring 2022 semester before UC's mask mandate was lifted. It was produced by UC students as part of CCM's Production Master Class, taught by Melissa Godoy.
Produced by UC students as part of CCM's Production Master Class, taught by Melissa Godoy.
- Director: John Curley
- Producers/Cinematographers: John Curley and Lauren Dull
- Location Sound/Boom: Tommy Statzer
- Editor/Sound Mix: John Curley
- Assistant Editor/Colorist: Lauren Dull
CCM's Dance Department is a professionally oriented dance program offering a bachelor of fine arts (BFA) degree with an emphasis in ballet training. Through a rigorous academic and studio curriculum, dancers receive advanced training while cultivating their artistry and stimulating creativity. The BFA candidates graduate with a thorough knowledge of the dance world and how to function in it, going on to perform and teach in professional dance companies and dance education organizations. Key Program elements include:
- Dance and audition with professional companies while earning a BFA
- Highly-recognized faculty, guest choreographers and artists-in-residence
- One of the few programs in the country to require a year of somatic studies (Alexander Technique, Pilates, Yoga)
- Seasonal and internship opportunities with professional dance companies while enrolled as a full-time student
- Onsite physical therapists and athletic trainers
- Three large dance studios with observation booth, therapy and dressing rooms
Featured image at the top: An image from the "Breath Release Technique in Modern Dance" mini documentary.