CCM Media Production faculty, alumna win Emmy Awards for sports programs
Joe Brackman won an Ohio Valley Emmy & alum Paula Gibson Pujol won a Northwest Regional Emmy
A faculty member and an alumna of UC College-Conservatory of Music's Media Production program won National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Emmys during the 2023 award cycle. Professor Joe Brackman won an Ohio Valley Emmy Award in the Director category and alumna Paula Gibson Pujol (BFA, '19) won a Northwest Regional Emmy in the Sports Program, Post-Produced or Edited category.
The awards ceremony for the Ohio Valley Emmy Awards took place on July 29, 2023 at the Lawrenceburg Event Center. For Brackman's winning entry, he submitted an excerpt of an ESPN+ broadcast of a UC Men's basketball game that he directed in December 2022.
"The ability for me to produce content at a high level, that is worthy of recognition from the Ohio Valley Chapter of NATAS, alongside our students in Media Production Division is what makes teaching at UC so special," Brackman says. "CCM’s partnership with UC Athletics and ESPN+ provides a valuable platform for me to teach and our students to learn modern workflows and techniques for media production."
This was Brackman's 11th Emmy award of his career, but the first as a director for a live sports broadcast. The crew for the broadcast was mostly made up of current students and recent alumni of CCM's Media Production program:
- Camera 1: Nick Goss (BFA, ’22)
- Camera 2: Tre Harris, current student
- Camera 3: Skyler Ficklin, current student
- Camera 3/ Utility: Noah Edwards, current student
- Camera 4: Trey Durr, current student
- Camera 4/ Utility: Hayden Ducker, current student
- Camera 5: Andrew Davis, current student
- Replay 1: Will Lemmink, current student
- Replay 2: Jeremy Youngquist, freelancer
- Replay (training): Jack Rieth (BFA, ‘21)
- Audio 1: Seth Johnson, current student
- Audio 2: Lillian Smith, current student
- Audio (training): Jared Fleckner, current student
- GFX 1: Tommy Rochester, current student
- GFX 2 (AP): Jack Langen, current student
- GFX 3 (BUG): Alex Jacob, current student
- Video Shader: Gabe Schmidt, current student
- Tech Manager: Todd Schutter, freelancer
- Assistant Director: John Anderson, current student
- Technical Director: Jack Bolander (BFA, ’22)
- Producer: Matt Noonan, UC Athletics Staff Assistant Director/Broadcasting and New Media
The Northwest Regional Emmy awards ceremony took place on June 3, 2023, at the Fremont Studio in Seattle. Alumna Paula Gibson Pujol won an Emmy award her work as Assistant Editor on "The Trail: Episode 3." The eight-episode docuseries follows NBA Basketball team the Portland Trail Blazers through its 2022-23 season; watch online. A media creative with a focus on real-life narratives, Gibson Pujol is pursuing a master's degree in journalism at the University of Groningen in Netherlands. Learn more on her professional website.