Playbill: CCM ranks in top 10 most represented colleges on Broadway
Playbill names CCM as one of Broadway's "Big 10"
The University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music has once again been named as one of Playbill’s “Big 10.” Ranked as one of the top star-producing institutions in the nation, CCM was represented by at least 24 alumni performing on Broadway stages during the 2022-23 season according to Playbill's coverage.
Among the many notable alumni, Stephanie Jae Park (BFA Musical Theatre, ’14) has shone in her leading role as Eliza in Hamilton. Originally joining the show as a Standby for several characters, Park quickly stepped into the leading role in October of 2022. “Park brought a light-heartedness to Eliza’s earlier moments,” TheNewsHouse reviews, “and great depth and despair into her final scenes.” Read more about Park and the Hamilton cast. Local audiences may recognize Park from her performances at CCM — last year she returned to perform in the world premiere "30 Years of Stephen: The Music of Stephen Flaherty" on Sept. 23, 2022 at CCM!
Another successful alum represents one of CCM’s most recent graduating classes: Ryan Breslin (BFA Musical Theatre, ’21) and his appearance in the Beetlejuice ensemble. Though still early in his career, Breslin already has several Broadway credits, including The Book of Mormon, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and, most notably, originating the role of Race in Disney’s Newsies! Breslin is also a teacher at the Broadway Dance Center of New York City. Another recent alum, Mikayla Renfow (BFA Musical Theatre, '20) was recently featured in national media after she was rushed to the stage via helicopter in order to step in as Jasmine in Broadway's Aladdin.
Returning this season in his role as Nick/Doug and others in Come From Away, Jim Walton (BM Musical Theatre, ’77) boasts the most prolific Broadway tenure of all CCM alums listed by Playbill this year. A respected veteran of the stage, Walton holds 29 Broadway credits, and has appeared almost continuously in Broadway theaters since 1980.
CCM alumni named on Playbill’s list include:
- Todd Almond (BM Voice, ’99) in Girl From the North Country
- Shoshana Bean (BFA Musical Theatre, ’99) in Mr. Saturday Night
- Matt Bogart (BFA Musical Theatre, ’94) in Paradise Square
- Giovanni Bonaventura (BFA Musical Theatre, ’11) in New York, New York and Moulin Rouge! The Musical
- Josh Breckenridge (BFA Musical Theatre, ’07) in Come From Away
- Ryan Breslin (BFA Musical Theatre, ’21) in Beetlejuice
- Ashley Brown (BFA Musical Theatre, ’04) in How I Learned to Drive
- Max Chernin (BFA Musical Theatre, ’12) in Parade
- Max Clayton (BFA Musical Theatre, ’14) in The Music Man
- Gary Cooper (BFA Musical Theatre, ’17) in Bad Cinderella
- Nikki Renée Daniels (BFA Musical Theatre, ’01) in Company
- Bailee Endebrock (BFA Musical Theatre, ’20) in Parade
- Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer (BFA Musical Theatre, ’99) in Beetlejuice
- Sean Montgomery (BFA Musical Theatre, ’07) in The Music Man
- Stephanie Jae Park (BFA Musical Theatre, ’14) in Hamilton
- Michele Pawk (BFA Musical Theatre, ’85) in Wicked
- Samantha Pollino (BFA Musical Theatre, ’16) in Sweeney Todd and Hamilton
- Angel Reda (BFA Musical Theatre, ’03) in Chicago
- Mikayla Renfrow (BFA Musical Theatre, ’21) in Aladdin and Wicked
- John Riddle (BFA Musical Theatre, ’12) in The Phantom of the Opera
- Kimber Elayne Sprawl (BFA Musical Theatre, ’14) in Girl from the North Country and Wicked
- Jim Walton (BM Musical Theatre, ’77) in Come From Away
- Sharon Wheatley (BFA Musical Theatre, ’11) in Come From Away
- Betsy Wolfe (BFA Musical Theatre, ’04) in & Juliet
You Can't Make Theatre Alone
Playbill’s “Big 10” ranking focuses on the actors on Broadway's stages, but there is also a giant team of designers, technicians, administrators, composers, musicians and more working behind the scenes to bring Broadway’s shows to life. In addition to the alums performing on Broadway’s stages, CCM celebrates the all of the creatives who work on productions in touring companies and theaters around the country!
Do you want to make theatre? Learn more about our programs in Theatre Arts, Production and Arts Administration: Acting, Arts Admin, Dance, Musical Theatre, Opera, Costume Design, Lighting Design, Make-Up and Wig Design, Sound Design, Stage Design, Stage Management, Technical Production.
CCM Graduate Assistant, Marketing + Communications
Currently a Bassoon Performance master’s student at CCM, Chet received a Bachelor of Music from the University of Utah. He has held positions with the Salt Lake Symphony and the Utah Philharmonia.