Web of Science most-cited list includes five UC researchers
List identifies researchers who produced multiple papers ranking in the top 1% by field
Five University of Cincinnati professors have been named to a list of the world’s most highly-cited researchers.
The Web of Science Group released its annual list of Highly Cited Researchers on Tuesday, Nov. 19. The highly anticipated list identifies scientists and social scientists who produced multiple papers ranking in the top 1% by citations for their field and year of publication, demonstrating significant research influence among their peers.
UC's Highly Cited Researchers include:
- Dr. Richard C. Becker, Mabel Stonehill Endowed Professor of Medicine, College of Medicine; chief, Division of Cardiovascular Health and Disease; director and physician-in-chief, UC Heart, Lung and Vascular Institute; director of Cardiovascular Services, UC Health;
- Dr. David I. Bernstein, emeritus professor of medicine and co-director, Allergy Training Fellowship Program, College of Medicine;
- Dionysios D. Dionysiou, professor of environmental engineering and graduate program director, College of Engineering and Applied Science;
- Marianne Lewis, dean of the Carl H. Lindner College of Business and professor of management;
- Guirong Liu, professor of aerospace systems, Ohio Eminent Scholar and director of GRLab-Computation for Sustainability, College of Engineering and Applied Science.
The methodology that determines the "who's who" of influential researchers draws on the data and analysis performed by bibliometric experts from the Institute for Scientific Information at the Web of Science Group.
"Recognition and support of these exceptional researchers represents an important activity for a nation or an institution's plans for efficient and accelerated advancement," said David Pendlebury, senior citation analyst at the Institute for Scientific Information. "The Highly Cited Researchers list contributes to the identification of that small fraction of the researcher population that significantly extends the frontiers of knowledge. These researchers create gains for society, innovation and knowledge that make the world healthier, richer, more sustainable and more secure."
Featured image: Lindner College of Business Dean Marianne Lewis, right, is among the most highly cited researchers in the world. Photo/Lisa Ventre/UC Creative Services
Learn from the best
Faculty at the University of Cincinnati are making a difference — not just in the lives of their students, but in the bodies of knowledge in their respective fields. UC researchers exemplify Academic Excellence, a core value of the university's strategic direction, Next Lives Here.
SELF: What Black women need to know before seeking fertility...
April 22, 2021
A journalist for SELF magazine interviewed Michael Thomas, MD, professor and chair of the UC Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, for a story about issues black women seeking fertility treatment may encounter.
UC Clermont student wins university writing contest
April 22, 2021
University of Cincinnati Clermont College student Jacob Widanski has taken home the top prize for the research category in the 2020-21 UC Composition Writing Contest.
Fight or flight response may hinge on protein in skeletal...
April 22, 2021
Taejeong Song, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow in the UC College of Medicine, says a regulatory protein found in skeletal muscle fiber may play an important role in the body’s fight or flight response when encountering dangerous situations.