CCM Musical Theatre stages epic 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'
From the Oscar-winning team of Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz comes a lush retelling of Victor Hugo's epic story of love, acceptance and what it means to be a hero
The University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music’s (CCM) Mainstage Series production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame opens on Thursday, March 7 and continues through Sunday, March 10, 2019, at CCM’s Corbett Auditorium. Directed by CCM Musical Theatre Chair Aubrey Berg, the beloved musical features the college’s student stars of tomorrow with musical direction from Stephen Goers.
Based on the Victor Hugo novel and songs from the Disney animated feature, The Hunchback of Notre Dame features the film’s Academy Award-nominated score, as well as new songs by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz. Peter Parnell’s book features verbatim passages from Hugo’s gothic novel. Parental discretion is advised.
This isn’t the first time Berg has brought one of Victor Hugo’s dramatic tales to the CCM Mainstage. Berg staged a critically acclaimed production of Les Misérables at CCM in March 2014. CityBeat’s Rick Pender called CCM’s production “powerful and memorable, one of the best musical theater productions on a Cincinnati stage this season.”
“With 'Hunchback,' we are employing similar techniques,” Berg says. “Set designer Lindsey Purvis has created a 40-ton timber cathedral of the mind — a poetic rather than literal space — in which the action unfolds. Dean Mogle is supplying a boatload of Medieval costumes and Kelly Yurko and her elves are creating wigs and make-up that would be at home in any painting by Brueghel. Oliver Tidwell-Littleton, currently under contract to the Walt Disney Company, is creating the lighting.”
"There is quite a lot to look at, but the stars of the production are the hard-working actors who play a multitude of roles to bring the story to life. They are true ‘triple threats,’ singing and dancing and acting their hearts out to tell this moving tale."
The musical begins as bells sound through the famed Notre Dame cathedral in 15th-century Paris. Quasimodo, the deformed bell-ringer, observes all of Paris reveling in the Feast of Fools, but he is held captive by his devious caretaker, the archdeacon Dom Claude Frollo. He escapes for the day and joins the boisterous crowd, only to be treated cruelly by all but the beautiful Esmeralda. Quasimodo isn’t the only one captivated by her free spirit, though — the handsome Captain Phoebus and Frollo are equally enthralled. As the three vie for her attention, Frollo embarks on a mission to destroy the gypsies and it’s up to Quasimodo to save them all.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, CCM Musical Theatre took the No. 3 spot in Playbill Magazine’s list of “10 Most Represented Colleges on Broadway” in the 2018-19 season. Cincinnati audiences get the chance to see CCM’s stars of tomorrow perform locally before students move on to the world's stages.
Berg first came to CCM 32 years ago to direct Nine as part of the college’s Hot Summer Nights performance series. He says that he particularly enjoyed working on CCM’s productions of Evita, West Side Story, The Secret Garden, Into the Woods and Les Misérables. “None of these would have been possible without the help of my collaborators, the musical directors, choreographers and designers who give their all to teach our students professionalism and discipline,” he adds.
Don’t miss your opportunity to see CCM’s stars in the college’s epic production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame on March 7-10, 2019. Tickets on sale now through the CCM Box Office.
CCM’s production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame will last 2 hours and 45 minutes, including a 15-minute intermission.
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
Book by Peter Parnell
Based on the Victor Hugo novel and songs from the Disney film
Originally developed by Disney Theatrical Productions
- Aubrey Berg, director
- Stephen Goers, musical director
- Katie Johannigman, choreographer
- Erin Magner*, production stage manager
- Dean Mogle, costume designer
- Oliver Tidwell-Littleton*, lighting designer
- Matthew Tibbs, sound designer
- Aria Braswell*, assistant director
- Kelly Yurko, hair and make-up designer
- Lindsey Purvis*, scenic designer
- Hankyu Lee*, associate sound designer
- k. Jenny Jones, fight choreographer
* CCM Student
- Andrew Alstat as Lieutenant Frederic Charlus
- Bryce Baxter as Claude Frollo
- Jack Brewer as Father Dupin
- Kevin Chlapecka as Clopin Trouillefou
- Matt Copley as Jehan Frollo
- Dylan Dougal as Saint Aphrodisius
- Madison Hagler as King Louis Xi
- Kendall McCarthy as Florika
- Jenny Mollet as Esmeralda
- Sam Pickart as Tribunal
- Alex Stone as Quasimodo
- Frankie Thams as Captain Phoebus de Martin
- Madelaine Vandenberg as Madam
- Jordan Alexander, Michael Canu, Madison Deadman, Sofie Flores, Kylie Goldstein, Zoe Grolnick, Chip Hawver, Joshua Johnson, Camila Paquet, Bryn Purvis, Mikayla Renfrow, Aaron Richert, Hank Von Kolnitz, Ethan Zeph as Multiple Roles
- Leo Carmody, Samuel Cohen, Britta Cowan, Christian Feliciano, Carina Florio, Ashton Francis, Colton Harksen, Kai Horvit, Jack Johnson, Christian Kidd, Anna Chase Lanier, Tyler J. Martin, Cassandra Lyn Maurer, Drew Minard, Chesney Mitchell, Stone Mountain, Eli Owens, Ben Pimental, Brandon Schumacker, Matthew Skrovan, Eleanor Zambarano as The Voices of Notre Dame
- Dance Captains: Joshua Johnson, Bryn Purvis
- Vocal Warm-Ups: Ben Pimental
- Quasimodo: Aaron Richert
- Esmeralda: Camila Paquet
- Male Cover: Ben Pimental
- Swings: Tori Heinlein, Sammy Schechter
- 8 p.m. Thursday, March 7
- 8 p.m. Friday, March 8
- 2 p.m. Saturday, March 9
- 8 p.m. Saturday, March 9
- 2 p.m. Sunday, March 10
Corbett Auditorium, CCM Village
University of Cincinnati
Ticket prices start at $32. Discounts are available for UC and non-UC students. Service charges may apply for online orders.
Single tickets are on sale now! Tickets can be purchased in person at the CCM Box Office, over the telephone at 513-556-4183 or online through our e-Box Office!
Visit ccm.uc.edu/boxoffice for CCM Box Office hours and location.
Parking and Directions
Parking is available in the CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the campus of the University of Cincinnati. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors. Additional parking is available off-campus at the U Square complex on Calhoun Street and other neighboring lots.
For directions to CCM Village, visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions.
Mainstage Production Sponsor: Macy’s
Musical Theatre Production Sponsor: Dr. & Mrs. Carl G. Fischer
Musical Theatre Performance Sponsor: Graeter's Ice Cream
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI, 421 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019 Tel: 212-541-4684 Fax: 212-397-4684 www.MTIShows.com