Outstanding Unit Head Leadership Award
Nomination Deadline: November 20, 2023
The Outstanding Unit Head Leadership award recognizes an academic unit head, division head, or school director who has demonstrated exemplary leadership in multiple domains.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Current academic unit heads and directors who perform, or have the authority to delegate, the majority of the duties and responsibilities outlined in Article 31 of the collective bargaining agreement with at least two completed years of service are eligible.
- Given the nature of the award, former unit heads and directors and interim unit heads and directors are not eligible.
- Evidence of an outstanding academic unit head may include, but is not limited to:
- Demonstration of effective leadership qualities (e.g., has a vision for the department, is proactive and positive, fair, and equitable, has a caring attitude, can make difficult decisions, can delegate when appropriate, fosters an inclusive approach to accomplishing tasks, and manages conflict effectively)
- Facilitates high levels of achievement among departmental faculty and staff and promotes professional development
- Is innovative concerning new academic programs, infrastructure, facilities, and organization
- Fosters an environment that exemplifies diversity and inclusion for faculty, staff, and students
- Creates and/or maintains an environment that promotes academic excellence
- Emphasizes collaboration within and among departments/units/colleges
- Is an active citizen of both the college and university
- Participates in professional development opportunities both within and outside the university
- Manages fiscal resources effectively and responsibly
- Utilizes human capital resources effectively and efficiently
Recognition and Award
The recipient will receive a plaque and a monetary award of $2000. The unit will receive $2000 in professional development funds.
Nomination and Submission Guidelines
Nomination Submission Deadline
Monday, November 20, 2023
Nomination Package Submission Process
All nomination materials should be submitted as a single PDF document using the Outstanding Unit Head Leadership Nomination Form.
Nomination Package Required Contents
- A letter of nomination from a faculty member, staff member, student, or administrator that outlines how the candidate meets the award criteria (1700 word maximum)
- A letter of support from the Dean that addresses the award criteria and speaks to the nominee's outstanding performance as a unit head (1700 word maximum)
- The nominee’s C.V.
- Optional supplemental material:
- One letter of support (1700 word maximum) that addresses what makes the nominee an outstanding leader
- Letters may be from faculty members, graduate and/or undergraduate students, staff, or others who work extensively with the nominee but need not come from all these groups