Preventing theft from auto
Thefts from auto are often preventable. Please see the safety tips below for more information on how you can reduce your risk.
- Lock your doors and close your windows. Criminals look for opportunity, and unlocked doors and open windows are easy opportunities.
- Do not leave your valuables laying out. Take them with you, or hide them in your vehicle before you arrive at your destination.
- Do not leave items, such as phone chargers and change, in a visible place.
- Park in well-lit and well-populated areas, preferably a parking garage.
- Never leave your car running unattended.
- If you are parking your vehicle for several days, check on it periodically.
- Have your keys ready to use, but concealed, as you approach your car.
- If someone approaches your car, do not roll your window down low enough that they could reach into your car.
- A messy car is not a deterrent, and tinted windows will not prevent thieves from seeing your belongings.
- Keep a copy of your registration and insurance in safe (local) place.
- If you see any suspicious activity, contact UCPD immediately when you feel safe to do so by calling 9-1-1 or, if you cannot make a call, using the tip feature on the Bearcat Guardian app.