The University of Cincinnati’s Uptown Campus is located in a high-traffic, urban area. Whether walking, driving or riding a bicycle, we are all responsible for ensuring roadway safety. Below are a few safety tips to be aware of when traveling on and around campus.
- Never drive distracted.
- Follow posted speed limits, stop at all stop signs and at all red lights.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians and bicyclists, especially when turning.
- Do not encroach into crosswalks. Be prepared to stop for pedestrians when approaching crosswalks.
- Leave at least three feet alongside to safely pass bicyclists.
- Stay alert and do not walk distracted. If using headphones, only put one in so you can stay aware of what is occurring around you.
- Do not use your phone when walking in a crosswalk.
- Cross the street at designated crosswalks or intersections. Look carefully for cars before entering the roadway.
- Make eye contact with drivers to ensure they have seen you.
- Stay on the sidewalk (when available).
- Wear reflective clothing or use flashing lights to be seen at night. Avoid dressing in all dark colors at night.
- Read and follow all roadway signs.
- Ride with the flow of traffic (when possible).
- Slow down and check for oncoming traffic before entering any street or intersection.
- Use appropriate hand signals when making turns.
- Wear reflective clothing and use lights at night.
- Wear proper protective gear (i.e. a helmet).
If you are involved in or witness an accident
Call 911 as soon as possible. Tell the dispatcher where you are and if anyone is injured so the appropriate emergency personnel can respond to the area. Stay in the area until police and, if appropriate, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) arrive.
If you are involved in or witness a “near hit” incident
If you are off campus, please use the 311Cincy mobile app or website. To make a report, click “Sidewalks, Crosswalks and Pedestrians,” then “Pedestrian Incidents.” Follow the prompts to complete your report. Video instructions for making a report on the app are available below.