Apply to a Long-Term Program

A summer, semester or year-long study abroad program provides you with a full immersion into another culture and way of life.

Before applying 

Attend an information session or walk-in hours to get in touch with a study abroad advisor. If you’re unable to attend, contact us at

We’ll help you understand program options and costs and scholarships

While it’s not required to have a passport before beginning a study abroad application, students are highly encouraged to have a valid passport or be applying to get a passport prior to starting an application. 

Start your application

Research programs and start your application on our website. Follow the instructions provided throughout the application process.

  • Exchange - Students first apply through UC International, then are nominated to the host university. They then apply directly to the host university.
  • External Provider (USAC or other) - Students are required to complete a UC International application and the external provider’s application simultaneously. 
  • You will need to get approval from your academic advisor for the courses you wish to take abroad.


UC International’s general deadlines are:

  • October 15th for Spring travel
  • March 15th for Summer travel
  • March 15th for Fall and Academic Year travel

Please note these are general deadlines.  Some programs may have earlier deadlines.  Be sure to check your specific program. 

GPA Requirements

  • For exchange and direct-enroll programs, students are required to have a 3.0 GPA. 
  • For other external provider programs, like USAC, the GPA requirement varies by program. 

After you've applied

You will be notified of your admissions decision via email. If you’re applying to an external provider program, you may be notified of admissions prior to the deadline because acceptance decisions are made on a rolling admission basis. If you’re applying to an exchange program, you’ll be notified after the application deadline has passed. 

After you’ve been accepted, you will have post-decision requirements to complete in your UC International application, this includes completing a Pre-Departure Orientation Session. We also recommend exploring these resources before you go.

You are encouraged to stay enrolled in UC courses the term you’ll be abroad until your study abroad program is solidified.

Register for Study Abroad Placeholder Course

It is required to be enrolled in the correct course for your program type to receive credit for your experience. UC International will enroll you in the appropriate study abroad placeholder course before you go abroad; students do not enroll themselves.