Hosting International Visitors and Delegations

The University of Cincinnati brings many international visitors to campus each year to teach, conduct research, give lectures or performances, and form collaborations.

All international visitors (anyone not a US Citizen / Permanent Resident) are required by university policy to be officially entered into iBearcatsGlobalWhy?

  • Their visit is officially reported and recorded.
  • The visitor is pre-screened for Export Controls purposes.  
  • The visitor is eligible to receive payments, if eligible in their current immigration status.
  • The visitor is cleared to provide the service or have access to UC facilities and research.

I am hosting...

Typical Visitor Visa Statuses

University of Cincinnati departments sponsor the visits of many international visitors providing “limited services” on a temporary basis, including guest lecturing or performances.

These individuals typically come on a tourist status, including B-1, B-2 and visa waiver status. 

The B-1 classification allows international visitors to come to the United States temporarily to engage in a variety of business-related activities like conventions, conferences, consultations, etc. It does not include employment.

Honoraria for lectures, performances, and consultations are permitted, provided

  • the stay at UC will not exceed 9 days
  • the international visitor has not received such payments from more than 5 other institutions during the previous 6 months. 

Reimbursement for travel and living expenses are permitted regardless of the duration of stay.

The B-2 classification allows international visitors to come to the United States temporarily to engage in activities of a recreational nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends and relatives, medical treatment, etc. 

Honoraria for lectures, performances, consultations, etc. as well as reimbursement for travel and living expenses are permitted as long as

  • the stay at UC does not exceed 9 days
  • the international visitor has not received such payments from more than 5 other institutions during the previous 6 months

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of designated countries to apply for admission to the United States as visitors without first obtaining a nonimmigrant visa from a US consulate. Use of the VWP is limited to business visitors (who would normally hold “B-1” visas) and to visitors for tourism (usually holding “B-2” visas).

The following countries have been designated to participate:
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Visitors must apply for entry authorization using the Department of Homeland Security’s Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) database at least 72 hours before their scheduled departure.

Honorarium payments are permitted if

  • the stay at UC will not exceed 9 days
  • the international visitor has not received such payments from more than 5 other institutions during the preceding 6 months

International visitors on visa waiver for business (WB) can receive reimbursement for travel and living expenses regardless of the length of stay.

International visitors on the visa waiver for tourism (WT) can only receive reimbursement if the stay does not exceed 9 days.

If you will be hosting an international visitor and paying them an honoraria:

  1. Add the visitor to iBearcatsGlobal using the “Add a Person” function. If you do not have access to iBearcatsGlobal you can apply for access.
  2. Submit the “Other Immigration Statuses” eForm in iBearcatsGlobal for the visitor. UC International will email you upon approval and list any other required documentation.


If reimbursements of expenses are the only payments being made to an international visitor, the request can be sent directly to Accounts Payable by the sponsoring department.

Otherwise, requests for payments typically take five business days to process and may not be submitted to Accounts Payable until:

  1. The international visitor has been entered into iBearcatsGlobal
  2. The visitor physically enters the US
  3. The department sends UC International the following via intradepartmental mail (ML0640)
    1. Limited Services Engagement Form and 
    2. Foreign Visitor Supplement
    3. A114
    4. Copies of the visitor's passport, visa (if they have one) and I-94 record (which the visitor can download).
    5. A letter from the department that invited him here which describes the services the visitor is providing and what you are paying them to do
  4. UC International Services signs and sends the documents to Accounts Payable for payment.

When you are hosting an international visitor, we recommend: 

  • Asking the visitor their current or intended immigration status.
  • Verify if they have an appropriate status to be compensated. Note that the provided chart is not an exhaustive list and can change at any given time by USCIS. If you have questions, contact UC International.

Ordinary documentation of expenses includes such things as hotel/airline receipts, mileage figures, meal receipts, etc.

Documentation of expenses should be submitted when there is an additional payment (honoraria, etc.) being requested.

Visitors do not need to meet with UC International unless they meet all three of the following conditions:

  • Will be paid an honoraria
  • Want to a claim a tax treaty benefit
  • Does not have a US Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

In the above circumstance, the department can schedule an appointment (513-556-4278) for the visitor to apply for an ITIN at UC International.

To apply for an ITIN, the visitor will need to complete a Form W-7 and bring the completed form and their passport to the appointment.

If the visitor does not have time in their schedule for an appointment to apply for an ITIN, the department can elect to gross up the amount to be paid on the A114 by 30% to cover the taxes on this payment if they wish, or inform the visitor that the payment will be deducted taxes.

Non-Paid Visitors and Delegations

For individual visitors:

  1. Create an iBearcatsGlobal record for the prospective visitor using the “Add New Person” function.
  2. Submit the “Visiting Scholar Request (unpaid visitors)" in iBearcatsGlobal. Please follow the instructions provided in the How to Use UC International Services eForm section.

For visiting delegations (more than one visitor coming from the same institution), use the Visiting Delegations eForm to get the visitors on record with our office.