Filing Taxes as a Resident Alien with No Tax Treaty Benefit
You qualify as a Resident Alien with No Tax Treaty Benefit if the following criteria apply to you:
- Have been in the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 Student for more than 5 calendar years.
- Have been in the U.S. as a J-1 non-student (Research Scholar/Professor) for more than 2 calendar years
- Have been in H-1B status for 183 days or more during the past year
- Obtained Permanent Residency status (Green Card) any time in the past year.
- Obtained U.S. Citizenship any time in the past year.
- You are not taking advantage of a tax treaty, or are from a country with no tax treaty with the U.S.
File your tax report
Resident Aliens can use any number of software products that are available in the US market, such as Turbo Tax, Tax Act etc., to file their tax return.
After completing and printing your Federal Income Tax Report you will need to complete a State Tax Report for the states that you were living and working in. The software you use will also help you with this.