Transfer to the University of Cincinnati

The University of Cincinnati welcomes international transfer students to our campus.

Students who have attended a college or university after secondary school are considered transfer students. 

Receive admission to UC

Before you can transfer to UC, you must apply to a program and receive acceptance. If you will be transferring as an undergraduate student, talk to UC International Admissions about this process.

  1. Complete a TOEFL, IELTS or ELS level 112 to demonstrate English proficiency.
  2. Complete all admissions requirements for the UC degree program.
  3. Receive an acceptance letter from the admissions office.
  4. Confirm the admissions offer. Instructions should be included in your acceptance letter.

Provide proof of financial support

International students are required to submit documents showing their financial support using an eForm on iBearcatsGlobal, UC International's online system for international students.

You must demonstrate that you have financial support for all years of study for your degree.

  • Check our estimated expenses page to determine the amount you have to certify. 
  • There is no deadline for submitting financial certification forms, but you will not be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 / DS-2019) until they are received. 
  • Submit your financial documents as soon as possible, but no sooner than 6 months prior to your start date at UC.

Transfer your SEVIS record

In order to officially transfer to UC, you will also need to transfer your SEVIS record. First, ask your current institution to release your SEVIS record. Tell the office that we are listed in SEVIS as:

  • University of Cincinnati-University of Cincinnati (if admitted to our main campus),
  • University of Cincinnati-UC Blue Ash College (if admitted to our Blue Ash branch campus), or
  • University of Cincinnati-UC Clermont College (if admitted to our Clermont branch campus).

Then, submit a SEVIS Transfer-In Request form using our iBearcatsGlobal system.

  1. Login using the "Limited Services" section. You will need your UCID number and date of birth.
  2. Under "Admission and Orientation," you will find the SEVIS Transfer-In Request form.
    1. This form requires you to upload copies of your passport, I-20 and I-94.
    2. You also need to list your current school's international student advisor, so they can release your SEVIS record to UC. Students transferring from English Language Services (ELS) will list Emily Bensman (email as the current school advisor.
    3. Indicate if you will travel outside the US before coming to UC.

Complete the pre-arrival checklist

Once your transfer is approved, you will be issued an I-20 for the University of Cincinnati.

You will also receive information on completing our pre-arrival checklist, coming to Cincinnati and preparing for orientation and check-in.