Apply as a DACA Student

In 2012, President Barack Obama created a new policy calling for deferred action for certain undocumented young people who came to the United States as children. That program is known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA.

Who qualifies for DACA?

The U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services website will help answer some of your questions regarding your immigration status and if you qualify for DACA. There, you can find out more information about the DACA process, background checks, fees, etc.

Apply to UC

Complete the appropriate application for admission to UC.

  • If you hold DACA status or are in the process of obtaining DACA status, you are classified as an international student by the University of Cincinnati and should apply accordingly. 
  • When completing your application, indicate that you are not a US citizen or permanent resident and that your country of citizenship is something other than the US.

Once you are admitted to the University of Cincinnati, you will receive communication from UC International asking you to clarify your immigration status. Follow the instructions and provide our office with copies of the following documents:

  • Your passport bibliography page, if you have one
  • A copy of your I-797 Notice of Action (approval notice) from USCIS for your I-821D application for Deferred Action status
  • A copy of your Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Provide the University Registrar’s Office with documentation regarding your sources of support and residential address.

Campus + External Resources


Applicants must have attended and graduated from an Ohio high school or qualify through one of the various guidelines established by the Ohio Board of Regents.

Students living in Indiana and Kentucky may be eligible for Metropolitan or Reciprocity rate tuition programs. For a complete list of the guidelines, visit the residency reciprocity webpage.

Your tuition will remain at in-state tuition rates through the duration of your current approved DACA status.

DACA students are NOT eligible for federal financial aid. You are eligible for any university-based scholarship or assistantship that is offered.

Yes, all DACA students are eligible for university based scholarships. 

The Office of Ethnic Programs and Services maintains a list of scholarship opportunities for undocumented students.

We are hopeful that something will be enacted that will keep you safe and eligible to work.

If that doesn’t happen, some government officials have indicated that DACA recipients will not be targeted and deported. Priority for deportation will continue to be on undocumented immigrants who have committed crimes.

However, once your current DACA status expires, if new legislation is not enacted, there are no guarantees what the Department of Homeland Security will do to those with expired DACA status.