Student Visas

As you study in the United States, you'll want to make sure that you follow all the necessary rules related to your visa status.

Our students typically hold one of the following visa types:

Most students at the University of Cincinnati come on an F-1 visa. You are eligible for an F-1 visa if:

  • You want to study at the University of Cincinnati as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student.
  • You will be paying for most of your education through personal or family funds.

You are eligible for a J-1 visa if:

  • You are participating in an exchange agreement or program
  • You will be financed directly or indirectly by the US government, the government of your home country or supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds (scholarships, assistantships, or fellowships)
  • You are pursuing academic training in a non-degree program for under 24 months

If you don't think either of these visa statuses apply to you, contact our office to discuss your circumstances further.

Changing Status

If your circumstances change, you may be able to switch to a different nonimmigrant status.

UC International is here to help.

From the time you apply to the time you arrive in Cincinnati, UC International will be here to help you. If you ever have questions about your visa, contact our office and an advisor will answer.