Academic Training

Academic training is authorized employment which provides complementary practical experience in a student's field of study.

J-1 students are eligible for academic training upon completion of their degree

  • up to 18 months of practical training for all students
  • up to 3 years for post-doctoral training 

Academic training must be authorized before you can legally begin working.

Application Process

You must have a job offer related to your field of study in order to request academic training. You need to apply for academic training no later than date of completion of studies indicated on the DS-2019. 

To apply, submit an Academic Training eForm on iBearcatsGlobal. The eForm is under J-1 Student Services. You will need the following information:

  • Name of employer
  • Address of employment
  • Hours to be worked
  • Date of degree completion
  • Description of job duties
  • Name of supervisor
  • Phone number and email of supervisor
  • Employment Identification Number (EIN)

During Your Training

While on academic training, you are still under the jurisdiction of the University of Cincinnati, even though your place of employment may be located elsewhere in the US.

If you are planning to travel outside the US while on academic training, contact UC International for instructions. 

You are responsible for being aware of the end date on your DS-2019. If you need to apply for an extension of stay, apply to UC International with enough time to keep your status active through the entire period of academic training.

Pay your taxes

Until you have been in the US more than 5 years, social security taxes shoud not be withheld from the wages of a J-1 on Academic Training.

You will, however, need to pay local & federal taxes on your earnings.