Off Campus Employment

International students are not allowed to work off campus without authorization from the Department of Homeland Security.

F-1 and J-1 students are typically only allowed to work off campus if they have experience severe economic hardship.

However, F-1 students can also be eligible for off-campus work under the sponsorship of an international organization.

Severe Economic Hardship

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student and have experienced an unforeseen economic hardship during your stay, you may be able to get authorization for off-campus employment. It is up to the UC International to initially determine the legitimacy of the request. Typically, we will consider factors including:

  • Loss of on-campus employment
  • Unexpected loss of a scholarship
  • Serious currency devaluation (when the funds come from abroad)
  • Excessive tuition and fee increases
  • Medical bills
  • Burglary or robbery (with a police report)
  • Substantial increases in living costs
  • Disruption of a sponsor’s income
  • Death of a sponsor

If we determine that your situation is a legitimate and unforeseen economic hardship, we can recommend to the DHS that you are granted employment authorization by attaching evidence of the hardship. You will need to:

  1. Fill out a Request for Severe Economic Hardship Employment Authorization form.
  2. Set up an appointment with our office by calling 513-556-4278.
  3. Bring all the documents listed in the form to your appointment.

If granted, the employment authorization is valid for part-time employment (20 hours a week or less while school is in session) and full time during scheduled breaks.

F-1 Student Employment with an International Organization

A special situation exists for F-1 students who have been offered employment under the sponsorship of an international organization, as defined by the International Organization Immunities Act. A student seeking permission to work for such an organization makes an application to the Department of Homeland Security by submitting:

  1. A written certification from the organization that the proposed employment is within the scope of the organization’s sponsorship.
  2. A Form I-20 ID endorsed for employment in SEVIS by UC International within the last 30 days.
  3. A completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the fee required.

If you believe that your off-campus job fits this circumstance, make an appointment with our office to get your I-20 endorsed.