Supplemental Instruction Leader Positions
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders are selected from among the university's most accomplished students. SI Leaders are assigned to historically difficult courses to develop review sessions designed to integrate what to learn with how to learn. The SI Leaders' primary roles are:
- Attending all class meetings of their assigned course and acting as model students within the classroom (take notes, read all assigned materials, etc.)
- Conducting two (2) regularly scheduled review sessions (1.5 hours each) per week throughout the term, implementing strategies learned through SI Leader training
- Conducting extended review sessions as necessary (e.g. prior to examinations)
- Ascertaining course requirements and maintaining regular contact throughout the term with course instructor
- Modeling successful student behaviors for those enrolled in the course
- Maintaining a professional attitude about matters such as class standards, grades, and other student complaints
- Acting as a representative for the SI program across campus
- Attending mandatory training sessions prior to the start of the semester and weekly group meetings throughout each term of employment
Competitive SI Leader applicants will have:
- At least one full year of college and at least one semester at UC (by the start of employment)
- A 3.0 University GPA and a 3.0 Term GPA in order to remain eligible employed
- B+ in any course for which they are assigned (courses must have been taken at UC).
- Students who received a B in the course may submit an application only if their Faculty Recommendation Form is completed by the instructor who will be teaching the course and that faculty member approves of their content competency
- Prior enrollment with the instructor assigned to teach the course is preferred, but not required
- Applicants should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, an ability to work well both individually and on a team and be highly motivated and reliable
Two professional references and at least one (and up to two) University of Cincinnati Faculty Member(s) who teach(es)/taught one of the SI/LA courses you are applying to support (ex. If you are applying to be a Supplemental Instruction Leader for Biology 1081 and Chemistry 1040, at least one of your references must be from one of the faculty members who teaches one of those courses). Other professional recommendations should be solicited from former employers for relevant positions, or individuals who have overseen the applicant during ongoing and substantive community service or other projects.
Recommendations from personal or family friends or other UC students will NOT be accepted.
How to Apply
Once you have reviewed the position responsibilities and qualifications, go back to the Student Employment main page and apply. You are able to select more than one position you want to apply for within the application, but you should not select all positions.
Contact the Learning Commons Front Desk at (513) 556-3244 or email the professional staff member supervising the position. Go to the Learning Commons Professional Staff page for details on the supervisor you should contact.