March 29, 2016
Safety & Reform Community Advisory Council
Judge John A. West
UC Leadership Changes
Dr. Robin Engel, VP for Safety and Reform
- Public Safety
- General Counsel
- OEOA & Title IX
UCPD Hiring Process
S. Gregory Baker, Director of Police Community Relations
S. Gregory Baker
- Debrief Community Forum
- Process Update
- Interim Report
- Implementation of Recommendations
UC Perceptions of Policing Survey
OCJS Grant Proposal
S. Gregory Baker
- Tuesday, April 26, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM in 320 University Pavilion
- Judge John West, Chairman
- Eric Abercrumbie
- Doug Barge
- Marcus Bethay
- Peg Fox
- Bobby Hilton
- Chara Jackson
- Doloris Learmonth
- Jack Martin
- Andrew Naab
- James Schwab
- KZ Smith
- Ennis Tait
- Charlene Ventura
- S. Gregory Baker
- Robin Engel
- Bleuzette Marshall
- James Whalen
CAC Members Not in Attendance
- Dejanay Drummonds
- Mike Ealy
- Aaron Greenlea
- Terri Theetge
|Action Items||Responsible Person(s)||Due Date|
|Send minutes of 3/29/16 meeting to CAC||Engel/Morris||4/8/16|
|Next Meeting is Tuesday, April 13th, 2:00-5:00 PM, TUC 423.
Judge John West
- Approval of Minutes.
Vice President Robin Engel
- CAC Membership Update
- Andrew Naab is graduating and will be replaced by new student body president, Mitchell Phelps. Mitchell is currently traveling until May. Andrew will continue to serve until his return.
- UBSA have nominated a new representative to replace Dejanay Drummonds. New representative has not been announced yet.
- Faculty representative is being replaced as Janet Moore needed to step down. Faculty Senate has chosen four faculty members for CAC to choose the replacement.
- UCPD Captains Jeff Thompson and Dudley Smith will be attending the CAC monthly meetings. As command staff, they will be here to serve as experts pertaining to questions about UCPD. They are not serving as members on the CAC, but will be guests that observe the meetings and will answer questions if necessary.
- Leadership Changes Since February Meeting
- Chief Jason Goodrich and Major Tim Thornton have resigned. Jim Whalen is the Interim Chief, but will remain as the Director of Public Safety. Leadership changes were brought about by the Exiger review.
- Robin Engel will have direct line authority over Public Safety (replacing Senior Vice President Bob Ambach, who previously had this responsibility). In his role as Senior VP of Administration and Finance, Bob will lead the University in a large-scale efficiency review; this change will allow him to focus more directly on this project. Robin Engel was chosen as replacement to lead Public Safety based on her substantive knowledge of policing.
- Kenya Faulkner, General Counsel, has resigned for personal reasons. Karen Kovach has been named the Interim General Counsel.
- Bleuzette Marshall will assume reporting authority for the OEOA Office, also replacing Senior VP Bob Ambach in this role. In addition, the Title IX Office will report directly to Dr. Marshall (previously reporting to Provost Beverly Davenport).
- The deadline for the Exiger interim report has been extended by two weeks; this report may be a verbal update to CAC Members.
- Chief and Assistant Chief of Police Search Update
- An 11-member search committee has been identified, and Director S. Gregory Baker will be serve as the chair of this committee. The search committee includes three members from the CAC.
- There is an urgency to fill these positions; it would be helpful to have the command staff selected and ready to implement recommendations provided in Exiger’s Final Report (due in early June 2016).
- The search committee met for the first time today. The committee is using UC’s human resources’ talent acquisition group to assist in actively recruiting a diverse candidate pool. They will be advertising in various sources nationwide to get a representative and diversified pool. CAC members are encouraged to solicit candidates from within their own networks as well. The vetting and screening process will likely narrow the pool to 8-10 video conference interviews, and then down to two or three candidates to bring in for on-campus interviews. These positions are being recruited simultaneously, and the candidate pools will be reviewed concurrently. It is likely that some applicants may apply for both positions.
- The new Chief and Asst. Chief will be directly involved in the process to hire the open captain level position.
- CAC Members were given drafts of the proposed job descriptions and recruitment letters for review and asked to provide feedback. The CAC will be invited to attend an Open Forum with all on-campus interview candidates.
- Noted that the work expectations for the new Chief and Asst. Chief will require that they routinely meet with the CAC as they work to implement recommendations from the Exiger review.
- Q&A and Discussion
- The meeting’s topic of discussion focused on CAC members’ questions regarding the resignations of former Chief Jason Goodrich and former Major Tim Thornton.
- Robin Engel reported that this is a personnel matter and was unsure how much information would be shared in the final Exiger report. She reported that the Exiger team noted inconsistencies in statements provided during interviews with staff members, and materials gathered from UCPD. The Exiger team identified inconsistencies in statements, along with gaps in leadership/management. After Goodrich and Thornton were presented with this information, they elected to resign.
- S. Gregory Baker ensured that the mission of the UCPD will be reviewed by the Exiger team.
- Robin Engel noted that Exiger would be returning to UC in April, and would be made available to discuss the progress of their review with CAC members.
- Due to the Exiger Team visit, the regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM in 320 University Pavilion has been rescheduled to Tuesday, April 13, 2016 from 2:00 -5:00 PM in 423 TUC.