September 27, 2016
Safety & Reform Community Advisory Council
Judge John A. West
- Future Meetings
UCPD Hiring Process
Anthony Carter, Chief of Police, UCPD
- Process Update
- Legal Opinion re: Placement (recruitment) Goals
UCPD Mission Development Update
Dr. Robin Engel, VP for Safety and Reform
- Update on Selection/Hiring
- Role of CAC with Monitor
Campus, Community and Police Relations
S. Gregory Baker, Dir. of Police Community Relations
James Whalen, Dir. of Public Safety
- Operational Plans
- Communication Plans
- Community Engagement
- Campus Engagement
- Safety & Wellness
- Board of Trustees Meeting, October 18, 2016
- Tuesday, October 25, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM in 320 University Pavilion
- Tuesday, November 22, 2016 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM in 320 University Pavilion
- Judge John West, Chairman
- Eric Abercrumbie
- Doug Barge
- Marcus Bethay
- Chara Fisher Jackson
- Peg Fox
- Raven Jackson
- Bobby Hilton
- Dolores Learmonth
- Jack Martin
- Mel Otten
- James Schwab
- KZ Smith
- Ennis Tait
- Terri Theetge
- Charlene Ventura
- S. Gregory Baker
- Tony Carter
- Robin Engel
- Maris Herold
- Bleuzette Marshall
- James Whalen
CAC Members Not in Attendance
- Mike Ealy
- Aaron Greenlea
- Mitchell Phelps
|Action Items||Responsible Person(s)||Due Date|
|Post minutes of 9/27/16 meeting to website||Engel/Morris||10/24/16|
|Next Meeting is Tuesday, October 25th, 5:00-7:00 PM, University Pavilion 320
Judge John West
Welcomed everyone and thanked them for being there. Introduction of members. Members agreed on new date for November meeting, due to the Thanksgiving holiday – the November meeting will be held the third Tuesday of the month - November 15, 2016.
UCPD Hiring Process Update (Col. Carter)
- Chief Carter discussed current hiring status of various openings at the UCPD.
- Captain – applications will be accepted from inside UCPD and outside of the department.
- Lieutenant – will be promoting two current Sergeants from within UCPD to fill vacancies.
- Sergeants – As two Sergeants are promoted to Lieutenant, there will be two openings for Sergeant positions for current UCPD (ULEO) officers to be promoted.
- Police Officer (ULEO) and Apprentice Rank – currently have 120 applicants on file. Many are old applications. This list will be closed and a letter will be sent to each officer stating if still interested they will need to reapply for the positions.
- Security Officers - reviewed applications and are moving forward with hiring.
- Dr. Robin Engel provided a handout regarding hiring practices and goals for the University of Cincinnati.
- UCPD will work directly with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access and the Office of Inclusion and Equity to ensure that we have appropriate placement goals and adequate information to ensure that these goals are realistic and reachable.
- If goals are not met, the position will stay open until we receive the applicants necessary to reach that goal.