UC will observe Juneteenth on Friday, June 18, as a holiday. Staff have the day off, and classes held at discretion of each faculty member.
Welcome Back, Bearcats!
We are pleased to announce that the Campus Recreation Center is OPEN! Until further notice, the Fitness Center at CARE/Crawley will remain closed.
Due to the restrictions on gyms, as mandated by the state, UC Campus Recreation will have limited space available, and will only be available to campus faculty, staff, students and affiliates at this time. Hours of operation will be adjusted to allow sufficient time for deep cleaning of the facility.
Facial Covering Update!
Individuals who are fully vaccinated may workout at the Campus Recreation Center without a facial covering! Please note that fully vaccinated means 14 days have passed since you received the final dose of the vaccine.
If you are unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated, you are required to still wear a facial covering while at the rec to stop the spread of the virus.
Please do your part to keep others safe and healthy. You can find out more information on UC's Public Health website.
Reservations Eliminated for the Fitness Floor, still required for swimming!
As of Monday, May 17th, reservations are no longer be required to access the Fitness Floor! We are operating on a capacity system. Please note that you may have to wait shortly for people to leave if we have reached capacity.
The waiting area will be in the breezeway, and will have socially distanced dots to stand on. Entry will be first-come, first-served.
Thank you for bearing with us as we work through this new process!
In order to best provide a safe environment, we are still operating on a reservation system for the pool. Individuals are able to reserve time in the lap pool to ensure the spatial safety of each participant. Information on how to make a reservation can be found below.
Updates to Services
New HIIT Studio!
Level 2 in the prior racquetball courts 1-4 (court 6 and squash will remain open courts)
We have a new workout area that has a little bit of everything including cardio equipment (no more waiting to get the machine you want), free weights, stretching, a functional training area an improved high intensity interval training (HIIT) studio.
Open areas include:
- Fitness floor, lap pool, locker rooms, bathrooms, non-touch water bottle fillers.
- Various day use lockers are available in the locker room and on the fitness floor.
- With capacity counts, the fitness floor with be limited to 130 individuals at a time. The pool will be limited to 9 lanes with 1 swimmer per lane.
- For more information on making, editing or canceling a reservation please visit this link.
Repurposed areas include:
- Basketball courts will be used for socially distant dining and study space with tables and chairs. No basketball, volleyball, or table tennis will be available for play.
- Track will be used for the placement of cardio equipment. No walking/running.
- Racquetball court 6 and squash court will be used for stretching and ab exercises.
- Multipurpose Room A will be used for spinning bikes, rowers for personal use, and some stretching space
- Multipurpose Room B will be used for stretching space
- Renovation of the racquetball court space will be used for additional cardio, free weights, and functional training space
Closed areas include:
Leisure pool and hot tub, showers, most lockers throughout the facility, water fountains, climbing wall, racquetball court 5 and any other area not specifically listed.
Keeping You Safe
- All equipment is spaced at least 6 ft apart with most being 10 ft apart
- Restrooms disinfected each hour
- Sanitation stations throughout fitness floor and facility
- Increased and more frequent cleaning of equipment throughout the day
- Additional disinfecting of facility at the end of each day after closing
- Directional signage to reduce cross traffic and spread visitors out
Things to Remember Before You Visit the CRC
- Currently, only UC students, employees and affiliates are eligible to use the facility.
- All Campus Recreation Center users will need to show their Bearcat card and green UC Daily Pass using the UC Covid Check app to gain entry into the building. For more information on the COVID Check app, please visit the UC Public Health website.
- All members are required to fill out the UC Covid check. This can be downloaded as an app, or you can use the webbased version for the COVID Check. The Redcap Survey is no longer working. If you are not a faculty/staff/student, you will need to create a guest account.
- Follow all directional and communication regarding the entrance and use of the facility.
- Facial coverings or shields are required at all times if not fully vaccinated. Facial coverings not required while swimming, for those not fully vaccinated. Non vaccinated swimmers must wear a mask or shield to the pool side and put one back on after exiting the water.
- Reservations are required to use the pool lanes.
- Bring a reusable water bottle as water fountains will be unavailable.
- Virtual group fitness and guided recorded workouts are available on our Online Fitness page and will be updated weekly. Archived workouts will be available on our YouTube channel.
- Paper towels and disinfectant will be available to wipe down equipment.
- Each member is asked to wipe down a machine before and after use.
- Only credit cards and the Bearcat card are accepted. No cash sales.
Please continue to check the website for updates on hours, processes, reservations and what is available, as it changes quickly. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Will I be charged for locker, towel service, and/or spouse/legal dependent memberships? Expand
All locker, towel charges, spouse and legal dependent charges will be suspended based on the above restrictions.
How do I cancel or freeze my membership? Expand
We understand that you may wish to suspend your membership during this time due to health concerns or remote work. Please note that August deductions will occur unless you freeze or cancel your membership by Wednesday, August 5.
Due to the current situation, we will allow members to freeze their membership at no cost. This will continue during the work-from-home recommendations by the university.
A freeze allows you to resume your membership without a one-year contract obligation upon returning. If you wish to freeze your membership, please complete the freeze form on our website.
Members who cancel will require a one-year contract upon sign-up, unless it is within 6 months of cancellation. If you wish to cancel your membership, please complete the cancellation form on our website.
What is Campus Rec doing to mitigate the spread of germs? Expand
Please help mitigate the spread of respiratory diseases by following these tips shared by the university's Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask. CDC does not recommend healthy people wear a facemask.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol may be used.
Additionally, Campus Recreation will implement the following:
- Self-tapping of your ID as you enter at Member Services. Please continue to show your ID to the Member Services staff.
- Increased use of disinfectant spray throughout the facility.
- The addition hand sanitizer stations throughout the facility.
- Increased laundering and changing of the green cleaning towels throughout the day.
- Deep cleaning after the close of business each day.
- Decreased capacity and implementation of a reservation system.
- Appropriate distancing of equipment throughout the fitness floor.
What is the process for reserving pool time? Expand
Online Fitness Program
Introducing UC Campus Rec's Online Fitness Program which includes a detailed schedule and workout videos from your favorite Personal Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors.
We're all in this together. Visit our virtual resources page for additional information regarding wellness, nutrition, mental health, and local resources at UC and Cincinnati.