Office of the RegistrarOffice of the RegistrarDepartment of Enrollment ManagementUniversity of Cincinnati

Office of the Registrar

Grade Replacement for Repeated Courses

The UC grade replacement policy allows a student to repeat University of Cincinnati coursework, with the final grade awarded for the most recent class enrollment calculated into the cumulative grade point average rather than the final grade awarded for the original class enrollment.  The total number of replaced University of Cincinnati credit hours may not exceed twelve (12) undergraduate semester hours.  Students may repeat up to a maximum of four (4) undergraduate semester courses.

Note: grade replacement for repeated courses is not available for graduate courses

The number of credit hours replaced is based upon the sum of the credit hours associated with the original class.  Both the original and the repeated class are designated on the student's transcript as "Approved Grade Replacement."  Only the final grade awarded to the most recent class, however, is calculated into the cumulative grade point average.  If the final grade received for the repeat class is a lesser grade than the final grade awarded for the original class, that lesser grade will replace the original grade in the grade point average calculation.  In instances where quarter credit hours are replaced by semester credit hours, excess hours previously earned will be reported as "progress" hours and will be included as "N" hours.

University of Cincinnati requires students to register and pay tuition whenever repeating a class.  Instructors may not alter a previously-assigned "I" grade, or any other letter grade previously reported, by allowing students to repeat classes without registering and paying tuition for those classes.

The student must complete a "Grade Replacement Application" form and submit that form to the College office offering the current class.  The College will review the grade replacement request and forward approved grade replacements to the Registrar's Office for processing.  This approval process ensures that the requested replacement class is academically appropriate to serve as a replacement for the original class, even if this replacement class is offered by a different UC college or within different term calendars.  The grade replacement application is available from the College offices.


Where to Submit Grade Replacement Form


Arts and Sciences

Arts and Sciences Academic Services Desk

French Hall West, Second Floor


College Conservatory of Music

Trina Williams (Program Coordinator)
3235 Emery Hall


College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services

CECH Student Services Center

360 Teachers Dyer Complex


College of Engineering and Applied Sciences

CEAS Office of Academic Affairs

665 Baldwin Hall


Lindner College of Business

LCB Undergraduate Programs Office

105 Lindner Hall


Design Architecture, Art, and Planning

DAAP Student Affairs

5470 Aronoff

Fax:  513-556-3288  


College of Medicine

Elaine Shafer (Academic Advisor)

Medical Sciences Building Rm E 168-B



UCBA One Stop Office

Muntz Hall, room 150


College of Nursing

College of Nursing Office of Student Affairs

Procter Hall 213



Clermont One Stop Office

Student Services Building, Room 100


College of Allied Health Sciences

CAHS Office of Student Affairs  or Academic Advisor

French East Building

3202 Eden Avenue Room 300

Fax:  513-558-8545

Once the student has submitted the form, thereby identifying the intent to use the current or most recent class for grade replacement, that decision is irrevocable.  In the case of a current clas, if the student withdraws from the class after petitioning for a grade replacement, that class does count towards the maximum number of classes that the student may repeat— but the "W" grade resulting from the withdrawal does not replace the final grade awarded for the original class. 

If the student does not submit the required grade replacement application for the specific class(es) desired, both the original class final grade and the repeated class final grade will be calculated into the student's cumulative grade point average.   

Students are not permitted to use grade replacement for an "F" grade imposed as a sanction for academic misconduct.

Approved Grade Replacements will not retroactively alter academic actions, decisions or sanctions that resulted from the original grade and/or original term grade point average.

Student retaking a class under the Grade Replacement Policy cannot enroll in that class on a pass/fail or an audit basis.  The grade replacement policy should not be used in situations where the original grade received was "W", "WX", "S", "P", "N", "NG", "T", "NP", or "IP."  Those grades do not have an effect on the grade point average.

Students who have graduated may repeat a course, but University decisions that were made based on the recorded grade point average at the time of graduation are not subject to modification.  Examples of unalterable University decisions or actions are the following:  graduation with Latin honors, departmental honors, Phi Beta Kappa, class rank, and any probation noted on the student's record on the date of graduation.  Students who replace a grade after graduation so as to increase the grade point average for application to a professional school are advised that transcript compilation services and/or admissions committees will disregard the UC grading policy and will apply their own quality point formulas.