Advanced Standing Credits

Advanced Standing credits may be awarded by your home college when credits are not automatically evaluated by Credit Evaluation. Advanced Standing credit award policies vary depending on your college at UC.

Please consult your assigned academic advisor at your home college if you believe you may be eligible for advanced standing credit.

Designated home college administrators will need to complete and submit an advanced standing form to Credit Evaluation on behalf of a student for processing if advanced standing credit is to be awarded.

International Coursework

Students transferring from foreign universities must submit course–by–course credit evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to UC’s Office of International Admissions, in addition to an official, original transcript from the foreign institution. An excellent example of an affordable NACES member company is SpanTran.

Once received, information will be sent automatically to the home college for possible transfer credit award.

For more information or questions pertaining to international transfer, please consult the UC's Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Advanced Standing Credits

Students wishing to receive credit for study abroad programs must coordinate and receive prior approval from UC International’s Study Abroad office.

Please reach out to Study Abroad for additional information and processes.

Credit-by-Exam & Competency-Based Education

Credit–by–examination may be listed on college transcripts for proficiency examinations developed by a college or university. For example, you may have credit by examination work when college credits are awarded only if the you successfully completed an assessment exam after completing coursework.

Competency-based education credits are those that are awarded to students who demonstrate mastery of knowledge or skills based on instruction, assessment, and grading. For example, some institutions may provide credits for coursework that is personalized, flexible, and/or may be completed by learning at your own pace.

UC does not automatically award transfer credit for credit–by–examination work or competency–based education. Please contact your home college to request a review of these credits for a possible advanced standing award.

Prior Learning

Prior Learning credits are earned in one of two ways.

  1. Review of certifications, licensure, or other demonstrable competencies gained through prior experience(s)
  2. Assessment of student produced, faculty assessed documentation of college-level learning gained through work and other experiences

Please contact your home college to determine policies and procedures pertaining to prior learning assessment credits.