Preferred & Primary Name Changes

Name tags and Sharpies sit on a table.

The Office of the Registrar requests notification and accompanying documentation when you officially change your legal name. Please complete the form on this page to verify your new legal name.

If you need to update your Preferred Name, you may do so in Catalyst. Your preferred name will not change your official name used by the University of Cincinnati on your academic record.

Legal Name Change Process

Supporting Documentation

Verify from the list below what supporting/authenticating documents can be used as evidence to support your Legal Name Change Request Form. If multiple options are listed, only one is required.

Note: At least one supporting/authenticating document must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.


  • Copy of Driver's License


  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate


  • Copy of Legal Divorce Decree (the first page and the page authorizing the name change are sufficient)

Legal Name Change

  • Copy of Court Order of Legal Name Change


  • Copy of Naturalization Document
  • Copy of Passport

Religious Reasons

  • Copy of Court Order of Legal Name Change

Submit Your Legal Name Change Request

Update Your Preferred Name

Preferred names let faculty and staff know what name you prefer to be called (assuming the name is different than your legal name). If you have a legal name change, you will need to request your primary name be updated in Catalyst.

Update in Catalyst

To update your preferred name (the name that shows on class rosters for your instructors), follow the below instructions.

  1. Log into Catalyst, and click on the My Profile tile.
  2. Click on the arrow to the right of your Preferred name.
  3. Make any updates that are necessary.
  4. Click Save.

Update in Canvas

To update your name as it appears in Canvas, follow the below instructions.

  1. Go to Canopy, and click on the Canvas tile.
  2. Log into Canvas.
  3. In the top left–hand cornerclick on the Account tile.
  4. Next, click on the Profile hyperlink on the card that slides out.
  5. Click on Edit Profile in the top right–hand corner.
  6. Make any updates that are necessary.
  7. At the bottom of the page, click Save Profile on the bottom right.

Updating Your Student ID (Bearcat Card)

Once your name has been changed by the Office of the Registrar, you may obtain a new student ID (Bearcat Card) at the Keys & Badges Desk in 4 Edwards Center. Call 513-556-4925 or email for additional information.

Updating Your Username

Changing your username is not required. However, if you would like to request a change to your username associated with the Central Login Service, contact the IT@UC Service Desk online or by calling 513-556-HELP/ 513-556-4357.